Ying-er 2006

We adopted our daughter Charlotte Xiao from China in 2006. ("ying-er" means baby in mandarin). This blog tells our story about building a family of 4, and the on-going joys/trials in our lives.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New and Exciting Things

Running away

Normally Charlotte is very cooperative, but lately she has discovered the what fun it can be to run away from people. You know, people who want to give you medicine, people who want to put your shoes on because we are late getting somewhere (as usual), people who are trying to dry your hair after bath, and the worst – people who want to put your diaper on. One memorable diaper escape ended badly last week. Slipped on the floor, she did. Funny thing was, it was a puddle of her own pee that took her down. I had to laugh – until I stepped in the second puddle, that is. Grrrrr.






Wish I could put HER on a leash some days.....

Living the life
I probably shouldn’t be admitting this out loud, but I think I never want to leave my parent’s house. It is SUCH a good life here. Dinner is made, laundry is done (photo is of Charlotte 'helping with laundry), and back up childcare is readily available. Most of all, I don’t have to get up early to shower before Steve leaves in the morning. All this and I get to gab every day with my Mom. I tell you, it is a good gig. My parents would probably appreciate having their space back though, so I know it has to end eventually. And by eventually I mean June 1. sigh.

Visiting friends and family
Steve and AJ headed west for the long weekend to celebrate his Dad’s 80th birthday. Steve is the youngest of 8 kids, so when they throw a party it is a really big deal. AJ had a an amazing time: a plane ride, lots of visiting and attention from grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, and about 3 hours on the waterslide at the hotel! It doesn’t get much better than that for a 5 year old.

Dad brought back all sorts of Sask Roughrider paraphernalia for the girls… and himself. Here are the girls with their Roughrider pom poms on.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Charlotte and I did some visiting of our own. She doesn’t often get to play with other kids her age without big sis around, so we took the opportunity to visit with our buddy Coralie and her parents. The girls are SO cute together, it was killing us. OK – we’re really proud parents, so most things they do are adorable….but honestly….check out the cuteness! I'll show you my belly if you show me yours!!

Valerie is more on the ball with video than I, so you can check out some of their dancing/bouncing on her blog.
http://coralie-bei.blogspot.com/2007/05/some-funky-dancing.html

Cottage life
Things are happening at the cottage lot as well. Our fabulous work organizer Debbie J found some guys to do the clearing for us, and they have been working away for the last couple weeks. The other exciting part is that the new and improved road is going in this weekend. There is a road already, but it is very rough and bouncy. We’re excited to get the new road in mainly so it will be passable for my parent’s motorhome and then we can do some wimp (i.e. off the ground, out of a tent, with a portable toilet : ) camping this summer.


Gearing up for move #2
Things are starting to fall in place for move #2 - finally into our new house. The roof truss repair guys are booked, the re-shingling guys are booked, the fence guys are booked (we’re fencing around the pool to keep adventure girl out of the water), the paint chips are princess decals are chosen for AJ’s new room. Now I’m on the fun things like outdoor carpet for the patio, and indoor carpet for the basement. In breaking news for the basement, we are living with the orange (well, my mom says that it is really rust) shag for a while, mainly because a) it is in good shape and b) we are too scared to rip it up and find out what is underneath.

New School
On Friday the switchover process began. AJ finished her last day of school in the ‘old’ school. Her first day in the new school was Monday and it went remarkably well. Let’s hope it continues that way!


Random cute photo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home