Ying-er 2006

We adopted our daughter Charlotte Xiao from China in 2006. ("ying-er" means baby in mandarin). This blog tells our story about building a family of 4, and the on-going joys/trials in our lives.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Birthday celebrations

July20/23/25

Next to Christmas, July 20 to 25 is shaping up to be the biggest, busiest time of the year for us.

As you know, kids’ birthdays are a BIG DEAL. And summer birthdays are a bit of a challenge since often there is no one around. This year we knew that we had to do it right for AJ to send a message that things were still good now that little sister was around. So we did this: we had a whole whack of birthday parties.

First we celebrated AJ’s birthday on July 20 with the family at a local restaurant. It is AJ’s favourite Chinese restaurant, and she calls it “Min’s” after the guy who is most frequently our waiter.
We’ve been going there for years and they know us really well, so I called in advance and asked if they would mind putting up a few decorations so that AJ would feel that it was a ‘real’ party. It was just dinner, but Mom, Dad, Jacqui and Steve were there and it was good fun and made her feel special on her birthday. Mission accomplished. One funny side note: we went from swimming at a friend’s house to home for a quick change and then on to the restaurant. I guess AJ didn’t have time/was too excited to put on underwear when she put her dress on. Mom noticed it halfway through the gift opening when she was lining up a photo and got more than she bargained for. Really, we shouldn’t be surprised though. AJ would go commando all day, every day if she could.
Oh yeah, and yes, my eyes are closed in this photo. I am resting. Hell, I need to sneak in some shut-eye every chance I get.

We also had another party for AJ with her neighbourhood/school friends on July 25 at Valleyview Farm. The farm is a fun place and everyone is very easily entertained with the animals and playstructures, so I will hazard to say that a good time was had by all, even though it was stinkin' hot.

On July 23 (Charlotte’s birthday) we had a whole whack of people to our house for a BBQ/birthday celebration for both the girls. The event was actually dual purpose – birthdays of course, but all there were some people who hadn’t had a chance to meet Charlotte in person, so it was also a ‘meet the baby’ thing.

The photos you see are cakes that were REALLY AND TRULY ACTUALLY MADE BY ME. Those of you who know me will understand that this is a huge thing, because I am not very domestic and I have NOTHING in common with Martha Stewart. I am typically a buy rather than make kinda person. That said, AJ has been angling for a fancy cake for years (she always gazes longingly at the cakes every time we go to Loblaws. Honestly, we have to stop and look at the cakes or the grocery trip is not complete. Each time she asks, “Mom, are these all milk cakes?” How sad is that). However, since her food allergies make buying a cake virtually impossible, and since it is now my full time job to be a super mom, I rose to the challenge. Yes, folks, I made a princess cake. With a little help from the Internet and my friend Lil, we pulled it together. Sure, the cake wasn’t cooked in the middle, but I think we managed to get that by people since those ‘molten’ cakes with pudding are all the rage right now. So that didn’t matter. It sure looked perty…..and my girl had a gas decorating it. Charlotte’s cake wasn’t as fancy, but it was VERY yummy.

I think Charlotte had fun at the party – she loves it when lots of kids are around. Who the heck and tell with a one-year old. Hell, I don’t even think that they know it is their birthday.

I must confess that it felt sort of funny to be celebrating Charlotte’s 1st birthday when we had only known her for 2 ½ months. It is an important milestone and all, but it is hard to get really fired up about it since we missed the majority of her first year. Also, all I could think about was her birthparents and how they must be feeling. July 23 made me profoundly sad. It must have been an horrific day for Charlotte’s birthparents. I wish there was some way we could tell them that she is safe with us and she is healthy, and beautiful, and smart, and growing, and learning new things every day. I wish there was some way we could let them know that we love her more than anything. I wish they could see her because I imagine that would bring them some comfort.

Everything about China’s adoption process has been wonderful – but this is the part that really stinks. In the back of my mind I am praying that there is a stock of secret records somewhere and somehow, someday Charlotte and other Chinese adoptees can find their birthparents if they wish to do so.

That was my wish for Charlotte when the girls blew out the candles on their birthday cakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home