The science experiment that continues to fail
OK – some might say I am getting obsessive about this poop thing now, and they would be right. Our little science experiment is driving me absolutely NUTS.Last weekend it looked like we had the constipation thing licked (ugh - probably a bad choice words there), and then by Monday we were back to no action and crying. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning was the worst. The poor kid couldn’t get to sleep, she just kept thrashing around. Then we had the pleasure of changing her diaper at 1:30 am, 2:00 am and then again at 5:00. For the first two she screamed like a banshee, but by 5:00 she was so exhausted that she just laid there (a blessing for me), and the rolled over on the change pad and went to sleep once the new diaper was on. Pathetic.
This of course means that we are on to a new strategy. No more prunes in the morning. (since they seem to take effect about 17 hours after they are administered) Prunes are fed at dinnertime. We administered the first dose at dinner Wednesday night and have been following through ever since. We’ve also thrown in some blueberries in the morning for good measure. So far so good, but I’m sure that will change.
As insurance, I’ve also invested in a new formula – the one with the lowest amount of iron I could find. We’ll see if that makes a difference.
Ah yes, and just to add a new wrinkle to the mix, Charlotte has vomited her dinner the last two
nights. We’re not sure if this is due to:a) an allergy to the peas we’ve recently introduced (the skin on her face also looks irritated after she eats them, but that happens with carrots too)
b) gagging on other food, when she over-stuffs her mouth
c) gagging on her own finger, which she likes to jam in her mouth and often down her throat (this photo was not taken at mealtime, but you get the general idea)
d) some combination of all of the above.
Yea, so now we have a new bit to add to the puzzle. Being a parent also means being a part-time detective, apparently.
Luckily for Charlotte, we have our appt. at the International Adoption Clinic at the Children’s Hospital on Tuesday. If we haven’t figured out something by then, hopefully medical science can help her.
All right, enough of that stuff. Here is the exciting news for the week:
Charlotte attended her first playgroup and had a great time. Not only do they have free snacks (and beverages with caffeine for the Moms), but the activities are fun too. Here she is with her friend Mia. I believe Charlotte is saying "Playgroup rocks." I believe Mia is saying, "I'm not sure about this kid. Why is my Mom making me play with her....?"
Here is a cute photo of her standing by herself!!!!!!!!!!! (right, so technically she is ‘leaning’, but I believe she gets points for effort. )Finally she is free of the sideburns!!!! We visited my hair stylist Tracey (also an adoptive Mom) and she was kind enough to remove them quickly and painlessly. Charlotte was no help, of course. She kept whipping her head around, but by some miracle Tracey managed to avoid spearing her.
The photo to the right was taken right after bath (which she LOVES). You can see how thrilled she is with her new do.
Being a stay-at-home Mom is lovely. The girls and I started our first school-free day with some exercise. As you can see, it didn’t work out exactly as I had planned. AJ was supposed to ride her bike (the whole way) and Charlotte was to ride in the Chariot. HOWEVER, where there is a will there is a way, and I was determined to spend some time minimizing my thigh-jiggles. So, rather than walking once AJ said she couldn’t make it any further, I loaded up the bike on the jogger and got a mighty fine workout!! Honestly, with both girls and the bike that thing must have weighed 100lbs. (or at least 60 anyway)

After lunch it was on to pool time. We couldn’t go on the grass because the lawn was being cut, but that didn’t stop us. We set up the pool on the deck. We had a great time and some good snacks to boot!And last but not least, we had an important moment the other day, but even though there is no photographic or video evidence I will never forget it. Without any warning, AJ leaned over, put her arm around me, gazed over at Charlotte and said, "Mom, I love Char." I almost cried! Now, you cynics are probably thinking that AJ was just angling for some candy or something, and you may be correct. I'm going to keep thinking that it was a genuine statement and that the world is rosy. : )
Here’s hoping the rest of the summer is this sunny and warm, and everyone stays in love!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home