Ying-er 2006

We adopted our daughter Charlotte Xiao from China in 2006. ("ying-er" means baby in mandarin). This blog tells our story about building a family of 4, and the on-going joys/trials in our lives.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Hunt for the Perfect Tree


'Tis the season. The season for the annual culling of innocent evergreens. We like to have a 'fresh' one, so we always make a family trip to a local tree farm. Every year I get the same creepy feeling. Sort of like the trees are yelling at us as walk by. I think they must be screaming, "Don't pick me, don't pick me!!"

But of course we ignore that and chop one down anyway. Steve and AJ did the deed, while Charlotte watched, slightly horrified. We opted for a small tree, so we could put it up high and avoid the Charlotte hassle. And you know, I think this might just become a tradition.


It was pretty fun for AJ to have a tree that she could carry herself.



It was also pretty nice not to bother about strapping it to the top of the car.

Rather like the pumpkin carving, we decorated while Charlotte was napping. Although this might sound cruel (i.e. she was left out), it was practical and created the desired "Ohhhhhhhh, Ahhhh" effect from Charlotte when she got to see it all lit up.

We're right into the pre-Christmas panic around here, so this will probably be the last post until after the 26 or so. We will post the photos of Charlotte's first Santa experience as soon as we can.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

p.s. Sleeping update.
Still better, but we certainly haven't licked the problem yet. The pre-midnight puking has stopped (thank God! We might even retire the puke towel), and sleeping is going pretty well, until 3:30 am or so. Charlotte's latest trick this week is she wakes up @ around 3:30, and then refuses to go back to sleep , or sleeps only when being held (I'm talking, won't even lie beside me on the bed. She demands to sleep on top of me, or that I hold her in the cradle position, which requires that I sit up. If I attempt any movement, loud protests are heard throughout the house). This goes on until 5:30 or 6:00. It is, well, painful. At 6:00 she goes back to sleep and sleeps until 8:00 or so. If only life were so good for the rest of us. Steve's alarm goes off at 6:30 so he can get up for work. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm hoping Santa will put some sleep potion in Charlotte's stocking......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home