So much news, so little time
Whew - finally some time to give you a quick update on things around here.
First: big news on the sleeping thing
Trip to CHEO: 60 mins
Cost of parking: $10
Cost of prescription: $40
Getting some sleep: priceless
As all of you know, we have been battling the sleep thing here for quite a while. I wouldn’t say that we have it licked, but it is getting far better. After my desperation visit to the Adoption Clinic, the docs suggested that based on her symptoms it might be worthwhile to give ranitidine a try. It is a medicine for acid reflux. Since Charlotte has consistently had sleep issues (based on what the orphanage told us), and was puking at least 3-4 times per week, we felt it was reasonable to conclude that maybe this was not just about adjustment. So, the doc suggested trying the meds for 2 weeks. If there was no improvement, then we would just have to accept that we had a bad sleeper with a poor gag reflex.
After 2 weeks, our conclusion is that it is certainly helping. Charlotte still wakes between 7:30 and midnight, but aside from the stomach flu incident, we have been puke-free. She also seems to be having happier days. We’ll see if it lasts….
Cute words
Charlotte has now mastered one of the most important language tasks…she is able to make animal noises. Why is this important? So she can perform like a trained seal and impress our friends, of course! Her repertoire includes: A cow says, “Moo”, A sheep says, “Baa”, a monkey says, “Eeek, eek”, a dog says, “woof, woof”, a horse says “nay”
Here's Charlotte having some fun at Steve's work holiday party.
6 month follow up with social worker
November 8 marked Charlotte’s six-month anniversary with our family. I probably should have posted some profound words, but I think I was cleaning up vomit (see my last post if you really want more details on this). That still counts as dedicated parenting, right? At any rate, it is an important milestone and well, my how the time has passed quickly.
Last week we did the paperwork part of the 6 month marker: the dreaded social worker report. I am pleased to say that it was relatively painless. We talked for about 30 mins, filled out the forms, Charlotte laughed, played and behaved beautifully, and then did a great, big stinky poop to finish off the meeting. That’s my girl! We’re now working on our ‘photo collage’ so that we can visually demonstrate that we are the uber-family. Ooops…starting to sound bitter so I better move on.
But wait, before I do, I should give you a little bit of insight into why the follow up paperwork irks me. My logical brain completely understands why it is important to follow up and make sure that children are doing well with their new families. However, since precious little is done to follow up on biological children, even those with convicts, crack addicts and other unsavoury types as parents…..I feel a wee bit put out that we have to (yet again) demonstrate our parental aptitude and verify our child’s happiness. (and pay the social worker $150 for the pleasure of doing do). That and I just want to get away from scrutiny and be a regular (i.e. ignored) family. It isn’t a big thing, it is just annoying. Anyway, ‘nuff said. End of rant
What she thinks of snow
For a southern girl, Charlotte is really getting into the swing of winter. She is the first kid I’ve ever met who seems to LOVE getting into a snowsuit. When I tell her it is time to put it on, she runs over the to the coat hook, pulls down her snowsuit, throws it on the floor, and then jumps inside it like it is a sleeping bag. She really thinks that the snowsuit and her snow boots are the hippest, coolest things around. We will do NOTHING to change this belief. The only thing she is not crazy about is mittens. I can tell we’re going to have on-going battles about mittens over the winter.
Here she is getting towed around by her big sis.
AJ’s art show

AJ’s class did a little art show for the parents the other day, and I thought we should show off some of her creations. It was really cute. Each kid had their own table with their ‘portfolio’ laid out, and when the parents came in they each had a little program ready for us. There was punch and munchies and everything.
Is it really almost Christmas?
I know this won’t come as a surprise to most of you, did you know that Christmas is only 2 weeks away? Well, I looked at the calendar yesterday and I can tell you it was a surprise to me. OMG – I have to get off the computer and start doing some freakin’ shopping!!
First: big news on the sleeping thing
Trip to CHEO: 60 mins
Cost of parking: $10
Cost of prescription: $40
Getting some sleep: priceless
As all of you know, we have been battling the sleep thing here for quite a while. I wouldn’t say that we have it licked, but it is getting far better. After my desperation visit to the Adoption Clinic, the docs suggested that based on her symptoms it might be worthwhile to give ranitidine a try. It is a medicine for acid reflux. Since Charlotte has consistently had sleep issues (based on what the orphanage told us), and was puking at least 3-4 times per week, we felt it was reasonable to conclude that maybe this was not just about adjustment. So, the doc suggested trying the meds for 2 weeks. If there was no improvement, then we would just have to accept that we had a bad sleeper with a poor gag reflex.
After 2 weeks, our conclusion is that it is certainly helping. Charlotte still wakes between 7:30 and midnight, but aside from the stomach flu incident, we have been puke-free. She also seems to be having happier days. We’ll see if it lasts….
Cute words
Charlotte has now mastered one of the most important language tasks…she is able to make animal noises. Why is this important? So she can perform like a trained seal and impress our friends, of course! Her repertoire includes: A cow says, “Moo”, A sheep says, “Baa”, a monkey says, “Eeek, eek”, a dog says, “woof, woof”, a horse says “nay”

Here's Charlotte having some fun at Steve's work holiday party.
6 month follow up with social worker
November 8 marked Charlotte’s six-month anniversary with our family. I probably should have posted some profound words, but I think I was cleaning up vomit (see my last post if you really want more details on this). That still counts as dedicated parenting, right? At any rate, it is an important milestone and well, my how the time has passed quickly.
Last week we did the paperwork part of the 6 month marker: the dreaded social worker report. I am pleased to say that it was relatively painless. We talked for about 30 mins, filled out the forms, Charlotte laughed, played and behaved beautifully, and then did a great, big stinky poop to finish off the meeting. That’s my girl! We’re now working on our ‘photo collage’ so that we can visually demonstrate that we are the uber-family. Ooops…starting to sound bitter so I better move on.
But wait, before I do, I should give you a little bit of insight into why the follow up paperwork irks me. My logical brain completely understands why it is important to follow up and make sure that children are doing well with their new families. However, since precious little is done to follow up on biological children, even those with convicts, crack addicts and other unsavoury types as parents…..I feel a wee bit put out that we have to (yet again) demonstrate our parental aptitude and verify our child’s happiness. (and pay the social worker $150 for the pleasure of doing do). That and I just want to get away from scrutiny and be a regular (i.e. ignored) family. It isn’t a big thing, it is just annoying. Anyway, ‘nuff said. End of rant
What she thinks of snow
For a southern girl, Charlotte is really getting into the swing of winter. She is the first kid I’ve ever met who seems to LOVE getting into a snowsuit. When I tell her it is time to put it on, she runs over the to the coat hook, pulls down her snowsuit, throws it on the floor, and then jumps inside it like it is a sleeping bag. She really thinks that the snowsuit and her snow boots are the hippest, coolest things around. We will do NOTHING to change this belief. The only thing she is not crazy about is mittens. I can tell we’re going to have on-going battles about mittens over the winter.Here she is getting towed around by her big sis.
AJ’s art show

AJ’s class did a little art show for the parents the other day, and I thought we should show off some of her creations. It was really cute. Each kid had their own table with their ‘portfolio’ laid out, and when the parents came in they each had a little program ready for us. There was punch and munchies and everything.

Is it really almost Christmas?I know this won’t come as a surprise to most of you, did you know that Christmas is only 2 weeks away? Well, I looked at the calendar yesterday and I can tell you it was a surprise to me. OMG – I have to get off the computer and start doing some freakin’ shopping!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home