Ying-er 2006

We adopted our daughter Charlotte Xiao from China in 2006. ("ying-er" means baby in mandarin). This blog tells our story about building a family of 4, and the on-going joys/trials in our lives.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

November Bites, But There is Hope


AJ asked us the other day, “What happens in November?”
After all, October has Thanksgiving and Halloween, and December has the mother load of all holidays, Christmas. So, what does November have?

“Well, I answered, November doesn’t really have anything.” (Yes, yes, November has Remembrance Day. But she is a little young to appreciate the true value of Remembrance Day and besides that, it isn’t a school holiday and kids don’t get presents or candy, so I’m quite sure it wouldn’t have met her criteria anyway.)

“So, what happens in November?” she persisted
“Um, well, it rains and it gets dark early.”
“Oh. Can we do something fun in November?”
“I guess we’ll have to try, won’t we?”

"OK" (new random thought - as only a 5 year old can do) "Hey look Mom, I can almost do the splits!"

Meanwhile I’m thinking…..hmmmm….we can do something fun, or you can grow up hating November just like the rest of us. Just in case you were wondering, there are two months of the year that I absolutely loathe: November and March. November because it is dark, generally dreary and because really you’re just trying to pass through November so you can get to the good stuff in December. And, there is nothing to do. It is too cold/wet to play outside, and there is no snow yet to have fun in. March is not my friend either because I live in a city that gets lots of snow and by March it has turned to icky, smelly slush.

Oh yea, and did I mention that it has rained here on 56 of the last 72 days, or something like that (according to the local paper). There is a reason we don’t live in Vancouver…..and gray rainy skies is it.

So I’m quite proud of the fact that we’ve managed to put a little fun in November.

There is excitement in November for Steve because that is the glory time for CFL playoffs. Alas, once a again this year, his beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders made it into the playoffs, but bombed out in the last game and didn’t make it to the Grey Cup. Let me tell you, it was not for lack of support and wearing of the colours in our house.



Charlotte got this cute little outfit from her Auntie Debbie in Regina. Steve would have her in it every day, if he could. Notice how he has taught her to point to the logo on command...

November is also the time when my parents ditch us for warmer climates. : ( They set off for Arizona last week, and we won’t see them until March. The good part: that meant that we needed to do Christmas!!

The girls got all decked out in their Christmas dresses, and Charlotte got her first taste of holiday loot from grandparents. Clearly she loved it – what’s not to love?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home